Yellow Chapel – Hartwood Church

180 Years of Service

 

  • 1700’s – An Episcopal “chapel of ease” begins on what is now part of the Hartwood Cemetary.

 

  • 1825 – Winchester Presbytery founds the “Yellow Chapel” Presbyterian Church.

 

  • 1858 – A.A. Hodge, pastor of the Fredericksburg Presbyterian Church preaches at the dedication of the sanctuary of the Yellow Chapel Church.

 

  • 1863 – The Battle of Hartwood Church is fought here

 

  • 1868 – The church is re-named “Hartwood Presbyterian Church.”

 

  • 1950 – Sunday School annex is added to the church sanctuary.

 

  • 1976 – Listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places

 

  • 1977 – Named an American Presbyterian Reformed Historical site.

 

  • 2000 – Christian Education Center is dedicated.

 

  • 2003 – Hartwood Church museum begun.

 

  • 2005 – Dedication of the Hartwood Presbyterian Church historical roadside marker.